By Major Matt Cavanaugh
Just a reminder – we’ve got a Summer Essay Campaign going on here at the War Council. I’ve received a few submissions, but could use a lot more! I’ll be be releasing the first essays next week, after the holiday break, and they’ll continue through the month of July. Also, as a bonus incentive (beyond feeding the minds of West Point cadets), Tom Ricks has offered a signed copy of one of his books to the winners!
As a refresher, here are the rules:
2. Essays must be no longer than 1,000 words in length (*Update: I will allow extensions, within reason, if the essay merits the length, however, please aim for less than 1,000!).
3. Submit entries to warcouncileditor (at) gmail (dot) com (to a maximum of three essays per entrant).
4. I will post essays as I get them (*Update: start publishing Monday, 7 July); last date for submission is August 1, 2014.
5. Voting will take place during the first week of August.
6. Though no financial reward is available (*Update: signed copies of a Tom Ricks book), I can offer something else of great value: I will include the top three overall essays on my DS470: Military Strategy syllabus. Cadets will learn from you!
**For those of you that are keen to read and concerned that writing might not be for you – take a shot – this is a great place to get started putting pen to paper (or, fingers to keyboard)!
All best, Major Matt Cavanaugh, Editor